Basturma Dried Aged Beef Recipe - How to make Baturma, Pastirma
Basturma Dried Aged Beef Recipe - How to make Baturma, pastirma - Recipe & Directions on how to make this Armenian Delicacy. Fry it with eggs as typically served or serve it raw. The best meat to use for this recipe is fillet minion as it is tender. Chaiman is made with fenugreek, cayenne pepper, salt, cumin, paprika, black pepper.
1) Choice of beef meat, back loin or even fillet minion.
2) A large piece of Kitchen String, place at one end and pull through to other end, and tie a loop at the end.
3) Sprinkle the meat with course salt and place in a bowl for 4 days
4) After the 4 days, wash off all the salt with water.
5) Using the string hang the meat with a pan under to drain the water. About 1 hours.
6) Then wrap the meat in a cheese cloth, place into a plate, cover with a board and place something very heavy on it.
7) Change the cheese cloth 4 times in 2 days. (Every 12 hours)
8) Hang in a cool dry, preferrably windy place for 8 days and possibly longer until the meat is quite dry
9) Make the Chaimen sauce a day before.
10) In a large flat dish, place the meat and coat the chaiman all over. (Where plastic gloves For this process) Keep in the chaiman for 8 to 10 days.
11) Hang once again for 7 to 10 days or until is pretty dry.
12) Place in a plastic bag or container and best kept in a cool place.
13) Serve very thin.
14) Traditionally Basturma is eaten just like this, without cooking, but can be cooked with eggs, make sandwiches. It is served as an Appetizer at parties and events.
15) To make the Chaiman, add the ground fenugeek, paprika, salt, black pepper, cumin powder, cayenne pepper, allspice and crushed garlic with enough water to incorporate all the ingredients well together. The mixture can be made several weeks ahead of time and the longer it stays the longer the flavors will marinade together.
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of meat of choice, Fillet Minion or another tender meat.
- 3 Tablespoons Fenugreek
- 3 Tablespoons Paprika powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 Tablespoon Black pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cumin powder
- 1/4 Tablespoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 Tablespoon Allspice powder
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed