Beef Barley Soup Recipe
Getting into the kitchen and making a stock pot full of beef barley soup / stew with fresh vegetables like carrots, celery, garlic and the sky is the limit with this recipe, you can also add mushrooms or any type of vegetables you have on hand. A simple recipe with stew beef that is browned initially to lock in the flavor and the crushed garlic and thyme to enhance the flavor. So forget the store bought canned soups and make this home made easy recipe today.
1) In a large pot, one medium high heat add 2 tablespoons of olive oil until heated.
2) Add the meat and brown evenly, remove the cubed browned meat onto a plate with a kitchen paper towel.
3) In the same pot, add the remaining oil and saute the onion until translucent and soft.
4) Add the carrots, garlic, celery, and 1/2 cup of stock / broth and with a wooden spoon or spatula scrap the bottom of the pot to loosen any browned meat bits. Cook for about 3 minutes.
5) Then add the barley, thyme, browned meat and the remaining stock / broth.
6) Reduce the heat and bring to a simmer stirring occasionally cook for approximately 1 hour. Until the meat is tender and the barley is cooked.
7) Serve warm and garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound stew beef, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut into cubes
- 1 cup celery, cut into cubes
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely minced
- 6 cups Beef Stock or broth, or low-sodium canned
- 1/4 cup barley, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped fresh thyme
- Parsley, for garnish
|Healthy Meatball Soup Recipe - Mediterranean||Light meatball soup in a tomato broth!|