Best Molokhia Recipe Jute Plant
Molokhia Jews Mallow with Chicken. Molokhia is an African Recipe, made from Jute Plant or otherwise known as Jews Mallow. Jews Mallow can be purchased from your local ethnic market and is usually available in frozen form. Can also be made with dried Jews Mallow or even fresh.
It can be made completely vegetarian, or as in this video demonstration, Mariette shows how to make it with Chicken. Make it with beef chunks, or lamb. It can be categorized as a soup or a stew, served with or without rice or your favorite bread. It is nothing like any soup you have had and its flavorful and delicious. Other ways to spell Molokhia are mloukhieh or mulukhiya. If you have other ways to spell Molokhia or if you have your additions or substractions for this recipe,
please post a message and let us know - Mariette
1) First, take the skin of the chicken legs, and place the chicken legs into a medium size pot.
2) Fill the pot with enough water to cover above the chicken legs.
3) Add half an onion and the chicken boullion and cover with a lid and cook until chicken is fully cooked and the juices run clear.
4) Remove chicken from the broth and set aside.
5) Add two cloves of crushed garlic, cayenne pepper and the two packets of jute plant.
6) Pour in some water about 1 cup ( depending how thin or thick you prefer the stew to be)
7) Bring to a simmer uncovered about 4 to 6 minutes.
8) Mix in the fresh dill and cook for half a minute and remove off the heat.
9) On a small skillet, pour in the vegetable oil or ghee and the coriander powder. Fry together for 30 seconds.
10) Pour the coriander into the stew and add the chicken drumsticks to the pot.
11) Cook together for an additional 2 to 4 minutes and serve.
*NOTE - Perfect with white rice, served as a stew with some bread, or serve as a soup by thinning it out a little with more water or chicken broth.
*NOTE - This recipe can be made with chicken, beef, lamb or simply using all vegetable ingredients and no meat, make this a vegan / vegetarian recipe.
- 1 pound chicken drumsticks (5 pieces)skin off
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chicken boulion
- 3 to 4 cups of water
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 packs of Jute Plant (Jewish Mellow)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon, vegetable oil
- salt to taste