Choereg Armenian Easter Bread Recipe
Easter Bread - Easter Bread Recipe - Choereg Armenian Easter Bread Choreg Is a No Knead Easter Bread.
This is a traditional Armenian Easter Bread Recipe that I bake a few times a year because we love eating it in the morning with tea and if you're a coffee drinker then you'll love this bread too.
All ingredients in this recipe should be brought to room temperature before mixing.
1) Mix the yeast in a half cup lukewarm water with the 1/2 teaspoon sugar, and set aside in a worm place to rise. About 5 minutes should be enough.
2) in a large mixing bowl, mix the flour, risen yeast, sugar, milk, the melted butter, and the bitten eggs together. Mix well to combine. No need to knead .Then set aside. Let the dough stand in a worm place for at least 2 to 4 hours or until it doubles in size. You can also leave it overnight if you want.
3) take it out of the bowl onto a lightly floured counter. Put some flour in a flat plate (around half cup) to dip your hands in.
4) Take a piece of dough the size of a ping pong ball or larger (it depends how large you would like the Eastern bread to be.) and after dipping your palms into the flour in the plate, roll carefully using your palms and your fingers to form a round strip. repeat two more times, then bread the dough strips as shown in the video.
5) Prepare your baking tray by covering it with a foil sheet. Place each braid on the prepared baking tray at least 3 inches apart.
6) Place the tray in a cold oven (do not turn the oven on) allow the bread dough to rise again for about 1 hour.
8) Take the tray out, in a small mixing bowl add 2 egg yolks and beat with a fork. With a pastry brush, coat the Easter Bread with the egg yolk (this will give the bread a glossy golden color and will help the sesame seed to stay on the bread)
9) Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sugar.
10) Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. and bake the breads for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown color.
11) Remove from the oven and allow to fool completely before slicing to serve.
12) Can be frozen for up to 1 month in plastic wrap or foil.
- Yields 9 Easter Breads
- 9 cups all purpose Flour
- 6 large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Milk
- 1 1/2 and 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 sticks Butter
- 1 teaspoon Mahleb
- 1 teaspoon active dry Yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 Egg yolks
- sesame seeds and sugar to sprinkle over the bread
- raisins (optional)