Cuban Rice And Black Beans
Beans And Rice Dish - Cuban Rice And Beans
Making use of canned beans cuts the cooking time on this recipe drastically. For a quick prep and cooking time this Beans and Rice Dish will be ready in no time. Make it spicy with jalapeno or even cayenne pepper or keep it kid friendly and mild. This is a meatless entree, perfect for vegetarians / vegans. Also it heats up well the next day. Serve over a bed of freshly cooked rice and a bottle of your favorite hot sauce, or perhaps fresh homemade salsa (salsa recipes available on the site) This is a great, quick version of the original beans and rice dish. Enjoy!
1) Using a large non stick pot, heat up the extra virgin olive oil. Saute the onions and jalapeno until onions are translucent.
2) Add the garlic, crushed fennel seeds, ground coriander, ground cumin, dried oregano, salt. Saute with the onions for about 1 minute.
3) Then add the liquids, 1 cups of water and 2 cups of vegetable broth, bring to a boil and serve for 25 minutes on medium low.
4) Add the 2 cans of diced tomatoes, red wine vinegar, and the canned black beans. Simmer for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Add water if necessary.
5) Cook Rice, using the directions on the packaging. Approximately 2 cups.
6) Serve the Casserole over rice and hot sauce on the side.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- cooked rice 5 cups
- hot sauce (optional)