Greek Phillo Dessert Recipe - (γαλακτομπούρεκο) gah-lahk-toh-BOO-reh-koh roh-LAH Here is a traditional Greek dessert that I've learnt from friends. This Greek Phyllo Dessert is a family favorite. Quite easy to make, perfect to take with you to a party. There is no chance to have leftovers as this Greek dessert has a tendency to fly off the tray. Hope you give this Greek Phillo Dessert a try the name is hard to remember but the taste is absolutely memorable.
To make the custard:
1) In a stock pot, add the milk, semolina, powdered sugar and vanilla.
2) Mix together until thickens about 3 to 5 minutes.
3) Once it thickens, add 1 stick of butter, mix to incorporate until melted. (set aside to let the custard to cool down)
4) When the custard has cooled down, crack two eggs and mix together with a hand blender.
To make the syrup:
1) In a small pot add 3 cups of water, and 2 cups of sugar, 1 piece of cinnamon stick and a slice of lemon.
2) Bring to a boil and allow for the sugar to melt. Set aside and allow to cool completely. (This step can even be done a day before)
To prepare the Phyllo Rolls: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
1) Defrosted Phyllo Dough (not in microwave) Defrost a day before in the fridge.
2) Melt 1 stick of butter
3) Take one sheet of Phyllo Dough, and butter generously with a brush.
4) Take one tablespoon of the custard and place it about 2 inches from the edge of the phyllo dough.
5) Fold the two sides onto each other, and fold and roll until the entire sheet of phyllo is rolled.
6) Place the prepared roll onto a non stick baking tray.
7) Continue with the rest of the rolls
8) Brush the top of all the Galaktoboureko's with butter and back for 20 minutes in the preheated 350 degree F oven.
9) Pour the syrup on each of the Galaktoboureko's and allow to cool.
10) Sprinkle cinnamon on each (optional)
Questions, comments or suggestions for future videos are always welcome.
- 8 cups milk
- 2 cups semolina powder
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- Sugar Syrup:
- 3 cups of water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 slice of lemon
- Phyllo Dough:
- 1 packet of Phyllo Dough
- 1 stick of butter - melted
- cinnamon powder (optional)