Healthy Meatball Soup Recipe - Mediterranean
Healthy Meatball Soup - Enjoy this Mediterranean Meatball Soup in a tomato broth soup base. The meatballs mixed in with bulgur and other spices. Little pearls of chickpeas is added and gives it a lovely flavor. Perfect soup recipes for a cold night. Hearty and delicious!
1) In a mixing bowl, soak the bulgur with 3/4 cups of water and set aside for 15 to 20 minutes until the bulgur is tender and soft.
2) Season the bulgur with allspice, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper (optional) and salt to taste.
3) The Bulgur will need to be kneaded until it starts holding form.
4) Add the meat and knead into the bulgur mixture. (Use a bowl of ice water to dip your fingers in so that the meat does not stick to your fingers)
5) Make the meatballs, by taking a small amount of meat about a teaspoon full and roll in the palms of your hands. Set side by side in a dish.
To make the sauce:
6) In a large sauce pot melt the butter and saute the garlic and dried mint for 1 minute.
7) Pour in the lemon juice.
8) Add the cayenne pepper, cinnamon, tomato sauce, and water. Bring to a boil.
9) Add the meatballs and cook for 10 minutes.
10) Drain the chickpeas from the can, and pour into the soup and cook an additional 5 minutes.
11) And Serve! Enjoy!
- 1/2 Pound of extra fine lean ground beef (grind several times)
- 1/2 cups #1 Fine bulgur
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt or to taste
- 3/4 cup water
- FOR THE BROTH:
- 2 Garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dry mint
- 2 – 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 6 cups water
- 1 can 15 ounce chickpeas, drained