Morrocan Soup Recipe Harira
Moroccan soup also called Harira is usually served during Ramadan holiday, and its a lovely fresh recipe that can be served year round. Make it vegetarian with using vegetable broth. Using fresh ingredients and whole grains makes this soup healthy and flavorful. Serve with dates and sliced lemon wedges to garnish. It is hearty, home made and a great comfort food for those cold days and nights. Just need one pots, one soup pot to make this recipe.
1) On medium high heat in a large pot softened the onion with olive oil.
2) Add the ginger, turmeric, cumin and pepper and fry for an additional 1 minute.
3) Chop up 1/4 cup of the parsley and 1/4 cup of the cilantro and set aside.
4) With cooking twine (String) tie together the remaining parsley, cilantro and cinnamon stick and add to the large pot.
5) Add the lentils and chicken broth (or broth of choice) and cook for about 25 to 30 minutes or until tender.
6) Add the tomatoes and can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and simmer for another 15 minutes.
7) Remove the herbs and cinnamon bundle
8) Pour in the fresh lemon juice and the previously chopped cilantro and parsley into the soup pot and mix around for a minute.
9) And serve with dates and slices of lemon.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup green lintel (or brown)
- 1 (19 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) cans diced tomato
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 12 pitted dates, halved
|Yemen Hot Sauces Zhoug Hot and Spicy Recipe - Hot Sauce||A spicy green hot sauce used daily in Yemen|