Mudjadarah - Green Lentil and Rice Recipe
Mudjadarah - Lentils and Rice Pilaf Recipe - How to cook rice with green or brown lentil. It is a Middle Eastern Recipe and is usually served with a hearty tomato salad or salad of choice, and Tahn yogurt drink. Both recipes available on the site. It is healthy low fat cooking and perfect for those on a diet. It can be a main dish, a side dish, eaten, hot, warm or cold. Stays well in the fridge for over 3 days and can be cooked ahead of time for gatherings or parties. Modjadarah, also spelled, moujadara, mudjadara, moojadara, moojadarah, mudjadarah
1) In a fry pan add a little olive oil and saute the onions until soft and golden brown.
2) In a bowl add the green lentils, check if it has any rocks in it.
3) In a large sauce pot add the water and lentils and bring to a boil.
4) Once it comes to a boil lower the heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Cook until almost tender.
5) To the almost tender green lentils, add the cumin, allspice, rice, and season with salt to taste.
6) Cover with a lid and continue to simmer for 15 minutes until both the rice and lentils are tender.
7) Turn heat off, and add and mix together the onions with any olive oil that cooked with onions into lentils and rice.
8) Cover the pot again, and allow to settle for 5 to 10 minutes.
9) Fluff with a fork and serve.
*NOTE - Serve hot, warm, or even cold. Perfect with a salad and Tahn Yogurt Drink.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup lentils - tiny brown or green lentils
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup rice