Persian Recipes Flatbread - Nan e Barbari Bread Recipe
Persian Recipes Flatbread - Nan e Barbari Bread Recipe - Simply delicious and not difficult to make fresh right at home. Nothing like homemade warm oven baked bread. This Persian Recipe, called Barbari Bread, is found in most Middle Eastern Stores. It has no milk in it, only glazed with a little milk on top.
1) In a small cup pour in 1/4 cup warm water and a package of yeast and mix together. Set aside until frothy.
2) In a large mixing bowl, add the flour and make a well in the middle.
3) Pour yeast into the well as well as, sugar, salt, butter, and start with 1 1/2 cups of warm water and if needed add gradually and as needed the additionaly 1/2 cup of warm water.
4) Mix together and then on a clean floured surface add the sticky mixture and start kneading.
5) Add flour if necessary until smooth.
6) Grease a bowl, and place the dough in. Grease the top of the dough all over.
7) Cover with a kitchen towel and set aside for 1 hour. The dough will rise.
8) Preheat oven at 350 degrees F.
9) Punch the dough, then cut into 4 portions.
10) Roll into a ball, sprinkle with flour and cover with a towel and allow to rest another 30 minutes.
11) On a floured surface roll out one ball of dough to 12 inchs x 6 inchs.
12) Place onto an ungreased baking sheet and make 1 inch apart ridges lengthwise on each dough oval.
13) with a pastry brush, brush milk all over the dough surface, sprinkle with sesame seeds (optional)
14) Allow to rest for 20 minutes before putting in the oven.
15) Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
16) Place on cooling rack then serve!
*NOTE - Makes about 4 flat breads and can be stored in a plastic bag in the fridge.
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast (7gr)
- 5 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup Sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- sesame seeds