Red Lentil Dip Recipe
Middle Eastern Dip - Lentil Dip - Red Lentil Dip Recipe
What an excellent middle eastern dip, perfect to be accompanied with pita chips (Recipe to make homemade pita chips available on the site.) This Red Lentil Dip Recipe can be substituted with both green or brown lentils as well. Try this recipe at your next party or potluck, it will surely be a great hit, and most will not be able to figure out how or what ingredients its made out of. Perfect vegetarian / vegan recipe as well, as lentils have many nutritional values. Enjoy!
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) In a large saucepan, add the lentils, and bay leaf, and cover it with water about 2 inches above the lentils. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover with the lid and simmer for 10 minutes or until the lentils are tender. Drain and discard the bay leaf.
3) Using a non stick skillet, heat the extra virgin olive oil, and saute the onions, pine nuts and garlic. Saute until the nuts turn golden.
4) Then add the ground coriander, cumin, caraway, and paprka (optional cayenne pepper). Infuse the spices by cooking it with the onions for about 1 minute, add the tomato paste. Mix together well. Keep on low heat.
5) Cook together for 2 minutes, then add lemon juice. Turn heat off and allow to cool.
6) Blend bothe the onion mixture and red lentils in the food processor until smooth.
- 1 cup small red lentils, dried
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika or cayenne pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt to taste