Southwestern Tex Mex Baked Bean Casserole
Bean Casserole - How To Make Baked Beans
A great Southwestern style Tex Mex Bean Casserole Recipe. If you ever wondered how to make baked beans then this is a quick and easy recipe to give a try. Perfect for lunch or dinner and is completely vegetarian. There is no meat in this recipe.
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2) Heat the 2 tablespoon of canola oil in a large non stick skillet and saute the onions and garlic for 4 minutes.
3) Then add the corn 1/4 cup green chilis, salsa, cumin powder, black pepper, pinto beans, stewed tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
4) Coat a 13 x 9 baking dish with cooking spray and transfwe the mixture into the dish.
5) Add half the cheese evenly in the dish and set aside.
6) In a medium bowl, combine, flour, cornmeal, sugar, remaining 1/2 cup corn, 1/4 cup green chilis, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, buttermilk, 1/4 cup oil, and one egg. Mix together until the cornmeal gets moist. ( if dry add a little water )
7) Spread the cornmeal batter on the tomato mixture evenly.
8) Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup corn
- 1/2 cup green chilis, canned variety, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt to taste