Stuffed Grape Leaves
Stuffed Grape Leaves
Anywhere you find grapes you'll find a unique variation of a stuffed grape leaves recipe. It could be as an appetizer or main dish.
This is a Greek recipe and has been a family favorite. It is called Dolmades, dolma or sarma.
Although it might look like a complicated recipe it is simple and easy to make.
Stuffed Grapes recipes vary depending the region and country the recipe is from example in Armenia it is prepared with minced lamb or beef some rice and wrapped. While in Egypt they call it Mahshi wara' inab and although it tastes just as good served cold it is customary for Egyptians to serve it hot. Stuffed grapes with variations can be found in the cuisine of Greece, Armenia, Egypt, Cyprus, Albania, Azerbaijan, Turkey, Iraq, Iran, Poland, Romania, India, Palestine and Israel.
Hi this is Mariette, welcome to my kitchen here are the instructions for this vegetarian Stuffed Grapes.
1) I prepare the grape leaves for stuffing by cutting the stems out
2) Put around one cup of oil in a casserole
3) Add the onions. Saute the onions for about a minute until it is soft and translucent. One or two minutes, it shouldn't be browned.
4) After it sizzles a little bit, I add the pine nuts. You can use walnuts instead.
5) Add the black pepper, paprika, salt to taste, and cook for another minute or two.
6) Add the rice,parsley and dill
7)add water, lower the heat to medium
8) Mix the stuffing well
9) Cover it and cook for ten to fifteen minutes
10) The rice is cooked. I did add some more water while cooking
11) and now add the lemon juice and mix it well
12) I'll let it cool down a little bit and then I'll start stuffing the grape leaves.
13) These grape leaves are from the jar sold in Mediterranean stores.
14) Sometimes they're tough, when you feel it's tough boil it for ten to fifteen minutes before you stuff it.
15) Place a few leaves in the middle of the casserole so the stuffed grape leaves do not burn. The smooth side of the leaf should be facing the plate and the vein side should be facing you.
16) Place about a tablespoon of the rice mixture in the center. When the grape leaves are big, you can add more rice mixture.
17) Fold one layer over the rice. fold it on both sides and then roll it. Don't roll it too firm or too loose. When stuffing meat choose smaller leaves if possible.
18) Place the folded side facing down. I arrange it around the casserole side by side.
19) Pour some olive oil top. Just to give it a shine.
20) Add some water, to cover the grape leaves.
21) Place lemon slices on top of the stuffed grape leaves.
22) Place a plate on top and push it down.
23) Close the lid, put the stove on high until the water starts boiling then reduce it and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes or until the grape leaves are soft and tender and the rice inside is cooked.
This dish is very suitable for parties, a good h'orderve, side dish, or even a main dish. Best consumed at room temperature or cold.
A great vegetarian recipe for your menu.
Questions or comments are always welcome. Have you tried this recipe?
If you liked this recipe you might like stuffed cabbage leaves
- 1 cup round grain rice
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 2 large onions finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 cup or a little bit more of water
- 1/2 cup of fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste.
- 1 table spoon of Pine Nuts
- 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons of fresh dill finely chopped or one tablespoon dried dill
- 1 lime or lemon thinly sliced
- 16 oz Grape leaves from jar
|Greek Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe||Greek Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe|