Vegetable Tagine with Couscous
Vegetable Tagine - Couscous Recipe - Vegetable Tagine Recipe
Fiery hot Harissa is a condiment usually found at Middle Eastern section of your grocery store. If you have Harissa in your pantry, and like your food spicy then add 1/2 teaspoon to this recipe or as you prefer. This simple Vegetable Tagine with Couscous Recipe is a great vegetarian/vegan/meatless dinner that can be made in under 30 minutes. A Morocan style recipe which is usually made in an authentic Tagine, but as many households do not have it in their kitchen, therefore using a regular pot or a dutch oven is a good alternative. If you have a recipe you would like to share please post in the comments section. Enjoy!
1) Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a large non stick pot. Saute the onions for 5 minutes over medium heat.
2) Then add the garlic, fresh mint, tomato paste, crushed red peppers, and potatoes. Cook for 5 minutes.
3) Add the chickpeas(also known as garbanzo beans), red and green bell peppers, salt to taste, tomatoes and water and bring the mixture up to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Cook until the vegetables are tender. (Add additional water during cooking the potatoes if needed) Mix gently as needed.
4) Cook the couscous as directed on the packaging.
5) Serve on top of the prepared couscous and sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley.
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cut bite size
- 1 large red bell pepper strips (1 inch)
- 1 large green bell pepper strips (1 inch)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed & drained
- 3 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon harissa (optional)
- 3/4 cup uncooked couscous
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped